The National Directory Institute is the comprehensive tranining program developed and offered by the National Association of Diaconate Directors to help deacon formation directors better understand and effectively implement the normative elelemts of the National Directory while offering assurance to ordinaries that formation in their dioceses is correct and effective. NDI focuses on the period of inquiry through ordination.
NDI is offered in colsultation with the USCCB Committee on Clergy, Consecrated Life and Vocations. It offers a practical approach for diaconal formation staff as they help candidates discern their vocations and guide them into ministry.
Mark your calendars: The next NDI will be held June 8 to 12, 2014 on the campus of the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio. NDI begins on the evening of Sunday, June 8 and will conclude on Thursday evening, June 12.
Participants learn the principles, norms, and implications of identifying and calling aspirants, forming candidates in preparation of Holy Orders, and sustaining deacons in their ministries. NDI integrates the four pillars of formational development (human, spiritual, intellectual, and pastoral) to assure that formation programs, including post-ordination formation, excel by meeting objectives for normative readiness. Participants apply what they have learned to complete a project that addresses a significant challenge in the diaconate in their diocese.
The 2014 NDI, like the three Institutes that preceded it, is presented by NADD in collaboration with the Institute for the Diaconate at the Pontifical College Josephinum and the USCCB Committee for Clergy, Consecrated Life and Vocations.
The National Directory Institute is designed to assist deacon formation directors to:
- Implement the National Directory as instructed by their bishop
- Find new ways to integrate the normative elements of the Directory into their formation programs
- Discover valuable insights into the theology, goals and objectives of the National Directory
- Develop successful formation programs
- Assure that their deacon formation program complies with the standards of the National Directory and incorporates "best practices" in the implementation of the National Directory.
- Complete a personally designed project that will address a challenge of their formation or post ordination program.